Sunday, January 5, 2014

A day without plastic

As I am not a fan of plastic I decided to write about the incredibly important role it plays in my everyday life. Plastic is everywhere imaginable, even inside people. It is inconceivable to me how people could live without plastic in the past. Every thing I ever touched, ate or drank was or is somehow in contact with plastic. What a shocking thought! To point out how depended I am on this material, I want to try to imagine a day without it.

When it is not a holiday I always set an alarm to wake me. This alarm is either a radio alarm or an alarm clock on my phone. Both are made of plastic, so if they did not exist I would sleep at least until noon. After I get up (from my wood-made bed) I brush my teeth with my toothbrush and toothpaste. Wait, both are made of plastic. I would have a terrible breath without them. Next, I am going to shower -no plastic means no shower curtain. How do I use shampoo when not being plastic-bottle packed? At least I can use a soap without needing plastic. Usually, while I am getting reading for the day, I am also becoming hungry. In my refrigerator (made of plastic) are lots of delicious things. However, everything is packed in plastic. No plastic would mean I would have to buy the milk from a farmer in a glass-bottle as well as buying butter, cheese and eggs there. Well, maybe not the eggs since they are mostly offered in paper cartons in the supermarket. Having not been to a farmer, I eat a slice of bread with marmalade (stored in a jar) while reading the newspaper. Okay, now I have a problem: Bicycle, car, tram or bus? Neither of them would be available without plastic. So I have to walk. As I finally reached the university I cannot use the computers there as they are made of plastic. Thankfully for the books I have brought with me, I am trying to study. After some time I am getting hungry and so I decide to buy lunch. Finding food, that is not packed in plastic in the supermarket, is a real challenge. Eventually, I decide to buy orange juice in glass-bottle, an apple and a freshly-made sandwich specifically asked to be packed in a paper bag from the counter. At the register, I have to pay in cash because there is no credit card without plastic. Now, I am exhausted and want go home. So, I literally go  home. If I walked every day I would be in such good shape - maybe I should do that more often then. At home I want to check my mails, which is not possible without plastic. Fortunately, I can drink tea (no plastic needed) and read a book in my favorite leather chair instead.
Later at night, I would not able to brush my teeth again without plastic. I cannot watch TV or a movie on my computer. Instead, I am revising what a studied today. In bed, I am thinking about my day without plastic:

Plastic is around me and inside me. As I noticed during this day that I mostly drink out of plastic bottles and eat plastic-packed food, I am deciding to take a blood test to be able to find out how much plastic is in fact inside me. Once, I read an article in the newspaper about women facing infertility due to plastic particles in their system. As much as I thank plastic for making my life possible the way it is, I will not let it ruin my dream of a family.









1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I was not aware of the fact that plastic is an everyday "companion" until you pointed it out for me. In some cases you could try to avoid using things made out of plastic, for example a sports bottle made out of glass would be much more healthier for you and the environment. But sometimes there just seems to be no way around it...

    ReplyDelete